Agora Life Hotel
Address: Cagaloglu Hamam Sokak No:6 Old City, Sultanahmet 34110 Istanbul Turkey
Telephone: 00 90 212 526 1181
Your comments for this hotel: (You may also write your opinion on this hotel, and then use these comments to decide on which hotel to book)
Other guests' reviews selected for you:
Age: 25-34 from Singapore,
Reviewed on September 10, 2012
"Inaccurate reviews"Rate:  2 Stars
I stayed in Agora-Life for three nights in July. My travelling companions and I were looking for a place to stay in Istanbul after debarking from Crystal Serenity in Istanbul. We read reviews from various sites before proceeding to book at Agora-Life.
Firstly, my friend had been to Istanbul before and as such advised that staying at Sultanahmet was a good idea as the various attractions are within easy reach.
After reviewing a few hotels and reading the rave reviews for Agora-Life, my friend confirmed the bookings in May. We booked the suite and another normal room.
Nearing the end of our cruise, we received bad news from Agora-Life that they were double-booked for the suite and could only offer us 2 normal rooms. So when we reached the hotel, the reason behind the double booking was explained to us. They blamed it on the existing guest`s extension of stay in the hotel at first but later they said it was due to a computer crash that caused the double-booking. So go figure what is what.
In any case, we had to stay the first night in the normal room and then shift to the suite for the 2nd and 3rd night. It was a hassle having to pack and unpack the toiletries, etc. But we acquiesce since we are on holiday and I guess mistakes are bound to happen.
1) The rooms are adequate and generally clean.
2) The suite had a very pretty view of the sea and we could see Crystal Serenity docked in the distance.
3) Great location and the attractions are generally within walking distance.
1) Not all the staff spoke English and when we checked out at 7am in the morning, we were not able to check with him if payment is again required as my friend vaguely remembered paying for the rooms in advance. But my friend still paid for the rooms and he is still in the process of checking if double payment was indeed made for the rooms.
2) We were supposed to catch a domestic flight at 9am and the transfer (free transfer from the hotel after the double-booking mistake) the hotel made for us at 7am did not appear on time. I alerted the staff at 7am to ask if the transfer was on the way to collect us and the transfer said he was told to come at 7.30am. Luckily for us, he was around the corner and we managed to leave the hotel around 7.20am and we weren`t late for our flight.
3) This is not a hotel hotel. And maybe that explains why the walls and doors are so thin. Let me explain. It was very windy when we visited and the doors of the hotel were slamming so often. And we could hear doors slamming in the morning and at night even with our own doors closed. The doors were very thin. Honestly, even thinner than my doors at home. So basically you could hear who is leaving their rooms in the morning and just hear their whole conversation on what they have been doing the whole day. EVEN with their doors closed and our doors closed. So that is how I know the other guests staying in the other suite were from America.
4) Lastly, laundry. We sent our laundry for washing twice. The first time round, everything came back. The second time round, they send my friend`s Zegna jeans to another suite. There were only 2 suites in the whole hotel and they managed to send it to the wrong room. Unbelievable. In any case, my friend lost his jeans. He only remembered the jeans when he was unpacking at Cappadocia. We alerted them via email 2 days after we left. They said they will mail it back to us in Singapore. But it is now Sept. No sign of it at all. So I told my friend, kiss your Zegna sayonara.
So I seriously do not understand why this hotel had such rave reviews. And mind you, this hotel isn`t cheap.
I will not come back here to stay again. No way Jose.
Stayed at July 2012
Age: 50-64 from California Central Coast,
Reviewed on August 24, 2012
"Wonderful stay at the Agora Life Hotel"Rate:  5 Stars
We stopped in Istanbul after a trip to Tanzania and Kenya and decided on the Agora Life Hotel after reading TripAdvisor reviews. We stayed four nights in the St. Sophia suite, and the whole experience was wonderful. The room was impeccably clean and comfortable, with a living area, bedroom area, and updated bathroom (2 vessel sinks and a soaking tub!). This room is the one pictiured in the hotel photo, showing views of the Hagia Sophia from one window and the Bosphorous from another window. The open terrace was one flight up, and we spent the mornings with coffee and the afternoons with a glass of wine. There was always a cool breeze, which made the terrace very ejoyable. The breakfast room was on the lower level, and there was a great variety of food--cereals, breads, eggs, yogurts, fruit, pastries, salads, cheese, olives, and other items. There is an elevator, which made moving luggage very efficient. The best part of our stay was the hotel owner, family, and staff. They were exceptionally friendly and helpful--tracking a lost bag at the airport, arranging a private walking tour, and surprising my husband with a cake on his birthday. The location is outstanding, walking distance to historical sights, shops, and restaurants. We were very happy we chose to stay at this hotel and hope to return in the future.
Room tip: The St. Sophia room on the 4th floor had wonderful views and was very quiet.
Stayed at August 2012
from Lynchburg, Virginia
Reviewed on September 3, 2012
"Attention to service and detail impeccable!"Rate:  5 Stars
I only had the privilege of staying at Agora Life one night, but will hopefully return in the future. Making reservations and communicating via email with Mr. Kadir Cikan was always timely and helpful. This made a very good first impression!
Upon arrival to the hotel, we were greeted with a refreshing drink of choice, help with luggage and provided with information regarding the hotel and city. There was also water and fresh fruit in the room, along with a small refrigerator for use. Mr. Kadir Cikan was quick to offer assistance in any manner including making phone calls to help with transportation.
Our room was spacious enough for two (2 twin beds), very clean and well kept. The bathroom was very nice and the amenities were plentiful. People sometimes forget that European hotels often have smaller rooms than in America, but there is usually always enough room. The bed was comfortable, but a bit hard for my taste. Room conditions were good as there is an air condition that you can manually or remotely control.
I should say that this hotel by appearance is not opulent, but simply designed, comfortable and clean, which is the most important to me. By comparison other hotels may seem opulent, but beneath the exterior you may find many problems.
The hotel has a wonderful terrace with a nice view. Breakfast was included in the price and was extremely nice with fresh fruits, yogurt, cheese, meats, sweets, breads and many other items. There was more than enough to chose from. They will provide you with a service tray to take your breakfast to the terrace if you desire, which makes the whole experience just divine.
The hotel is located on a quiet street which is unique for Istanbul. They are across the street from a very old and well known Turkish bath, the Cagaloglu Hamam. This is listed on one of the top 100 places to see around the world.
There is a small supermarket close to the hotel where you can purchase water, drinks and snacks for a good price. There are nice places to eat within walking distance that also have good prices as you are slightly off from the main tourist roads.
Approximately 2 or 3 blocks down from the hotel is the Underground cistern and the main sights. Agora Life Hotel is in a very convenient location.
Stayed at August 2012
from Perth, Australia
Reviewed on August 29, 2012
"Just Right"Rate:  5 Stars
We arrived at Ataturk airport without any idea where to go. A sign with our name was there to greet us and a taxi took us to the airport.The hotel is in a perfect location for the main sights, the markets, tour companies and restaurants. The staff were very helpful. We didn`t need a birthday cake so didn`t get that provided, but I needed a wheelchair booked at the airport, taxis ordered etc and it was all done efficiently. The breakfast was lovely with everything one might need, the rooftop with superb views and a cool breeze was a lovely place to read or have breakfast.
The staff were friendly and helpful. I would thoroughly recommend staying here.
Stayed at August 2012
Reviewed on August 20, 2012
"Super location, top service"Rate:  5 Stars
We stayed in Agora Life for 4 days and we really appreciated the service of the hotel: the owner and all the people are super kind, they offer you suggestions and help for every kind of need you can have (luggages, taxi, daily trips, etc.)
The position is amazing to visit main monuments, 5 minutes walking distance from everything!
Do not miss the terrace, for breakfast or for a cold drink!
Stayed at August 2012